Thursday, October 13, 2011

Do you really want to be a star?

During yesterdays class Philippe said to a me and someone else that "you are not with us, you are a star up there."
My ego wanted to believe this was a comment in high praise of my immense talent and acting prowess, but I knew it wasn't.
Oh how vain I can be...

His words stuck with me throughout the day and tonight at about 10:30 passing from the kitchen, through the patio, to my room to get this little lap-top, it hit me. Right there in the darkness.
Actually, several of them did.
Stars.
Yes. Stars.
What are they to us?
Nothing but tiny pin pricks of light shining out there in the black thousands of miles away.
We don't get to see them blazing.
No, we barely see them but for a tiny dot of light.
Is this the type of actor you want to be?
Ze star?
The star, who is small on the stage, who is swallowed by the black of the theatre, who has no contact with the public who does not look for the family in the auditoreum, who hides himself except for a little light, is this who you want to be?

Is it?

Or do you want to share your soul with the audience, light up the stage and set fire to their imaginations so they can dream around you?

We actors have to blaze

No comments:

Post a Comment